Thursday 7 March 2013

Is Google+ running slow on Google chrome

For me Yes.

My Google+ has been very slow on Google Chrome for quite some time now. When i try the Explore option it scrolls like a snail moving up on a tree for me. And quite recently (Today) it became unbearable. So i decided i have to do something about it. Hence i Goggled it.

Found a couple of good solutions and tried them all.

Here is solution #1:


Open a new tab in Chrome and go to : chrome://plugins/

And disable the heck out of the plugins.

As you can see i disabled almost all plugins i can continue live without 'After Earth'. Didn't help 1 bit.

So i moved on to solution #2:

Open a new tab in Chrome and go to : chrome://flags/

And was greeted with this warning :

WARNING These experimental features may change, break, or disappear at any time. We make absolutely no guarantees about what may happen if you turn one of these experiments on, and your browser may even spontaneously combust. Jokes aside, your browser may delete all your data, or your security and privacy could be compromised in unexpected ways. Any experiments you enable will be enabled for all users of this browser. Please proceed with caution.

It contained a serious text "Jokes aside". OMG! this is serious stuff..
So i was wondering what to do with it. After some careful consideration i decided to ignore it.

I went ahead and i tried these 2 things one by one. I had to restarted my browser a couple of times for this.


This actually worked a lot better than the default state. The source of this solution which i have mentioned below was scrolling much faster for me after this.

Credits: Here is Stormy Henderson post where i found this solution


But even this didn't improve the situation  in Google+ Explore much so finally i took the 3rd solution provided as a hidden solution in the post mentioned above.

"Moving on" to solution #3:

I changed my web Browser.

And the truth : "My Google+ Explore is moving like knife on butter paper".

OK its not the complete truth. But i bet you its working much much faster in comparision to Google Chrome.
I am not planning on switching to Firefox full time. I will be back to chrome once they have a fix for this problem.

But lately they have been pretty rough on Resources.


All major tabs in Google Chrome take over 50Mb's of space Which is quite a lot: if you have like 10 Google+ tabs you are down by Half a GB of Space.

I don't know how exactly Google Chrome manages storage but if its all in RAM or even partially in Virtual memory or swap space then also its a lot of memory and that is bound to slow down the system over time.

I have observed that if i leave a Chrome tab open over night it degrades the System perforamnce so badly that i am forced to restart my system in the morning :(

Hoping all this will be fixed soon, Or i recieve a Chrom book Pixel as a gift from someone. Either will do for me ;)

--
cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment